Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Notes from the hunting journal--2/10/07

You will all be disappointed, no doubt, to learn that this is the final entry from my hunting journal for the 2006/2007 small game season. Don't despair, though, as there will be future entries, providence willing.

2-10-07: Went to trusty, ol' area XX, accompanied by John Alpeter and his son, Matt. The morning started off chilly, but warmed quickly as the sun rose, necessitating me shedding my coat and sweater. With three hunters walking abreast, we were able to cover a much larger field of view and, as a result, we probably kicked up as many rabbits as I had previously seen during the entire season. The exact number escapes me, but we three must have fired at around 10 rabbits, and we harvested five (I shot three, but I gave one to John--his family is bigger than mine). While walking back to the cars, I saw a jackrabbit about 20 yards ahead of me. For a split second, I thought it was a dog because it was so tall. I snapped a shot off at it, but missed (surprised?), and it turned on the speed and disappeared.

John and I talked after the hunt about going out again before the season ended on Feb. 28, but illness intervened for both of us and we didn't get around to it.

That's it for the 2006/2007 small game season. The 2007/2008 season starting in October is anxiously anticipated.

Gun: Remington 870 12 ga.
Ammo: my reloads w/#6 shot
Total shots: at least 5 or 6 (me), but not sure
Rabbits: 3 (me), 5 total


Take care,
DAL357

No comments: