Thursday, November 22, 2007

A sacred trust

Perhaps it's too much to ask for people to care for borrowed library materials while in their custody and return them in decent shape? I've noticed the shabby shape many materials are in when I check them out, with CDs and DVDs often being the worst. I can understand normal wear and tear, but some of this stuff looks like wanton neglect or destruction. From audio book CDs that appear to have been used as hockey pucks to books that look as if they've been used as doorstops or chock blocks for automobile tires, it's a sad state of affairs.

When I was in early elementary school, over forty years ago now, it was drilled into me to NEVER write in a book and to treat books with the utmost respect. Apparently, many people never got this message. To this day I've never forgotten these lessons and even with the books I own I feel like a vandal if I make notes in them. I always strive to do no further damage to any library material I borrow; I wish everyone had this attitude.

I don't know if this happens everywhere, but it sure does in my neck of the woods.

To me, when one borrows library materials, one enters into an almost sacred trust. Apparently, however, I am in the minority on this point.

Take care.
DAL357

No comments: