Saturday, May 10, 2008

You know, less really IS more.


I’ve been in the simplifying mode for a while now and I’ve been able to pare down my belongings to a manageable level; I still have a ways to go, but I’m making decent progress. Things I’ve parted with include, although not in toto, books (some gun books, old college textbooks, etc., but not any of the classics--God forbid!), exercise equipment, clothes, mementos, many pounds of old gun magazines, a bunch of scrounged range brass I never would have used anyway, some old Lee reloading equipment, and a few--GASP!--guns.

Why am I doing this? As I get older, I have begun to see the futility of chasing after fulfillment and happiness through the acquisition of stuff. Having a very few quality things that I really need/use and blowing off what the marketers tout as the latest and best brings a lot of contentment. What a (seeming) paradox that I get more peace of mind from fewer possessions than I do from many.

Life sure is funny sometimes, especially when you take the time to view it from another perspective.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some more stuff to set free.

Take care.
DAL357

1 comment:

Ryan said...

There is something to be said for having a reasonable amount of good useful stuff. I know that with moving to an rv soon I will be doing a whole lot of the same.