Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Long Dry Spell...is Over!

I went fishing on Monday and, finally, caught a fish. Not two fishes, mind you, like my fishing partner, but a single fish, called a wiper, of about three pounds. I kept it and we will feast on it tonight; my wife is a wiz in the kitchen, so I am sure it will be delectable.

On a related note, the guy I went fishing with has a 17-foot canoe, so that's what we used. Paddling about 2.5 miles on a reservoir in moderate winds proved to be exhaustive exercise for both of us, especially the return leg of the journey, when we paddled back non-stop. This morning I am feeling it in my shoulders and back, but I'll survive. Oddly enough, we had a head wind both leaving and returning, due to a wind shift about mid-morning, or perhaps a malevolent creator with a wicked sense of humor, but I'm betting on the former rather than the latter.

As you can tell by the above info., I am not much of a fisherman, yet, but I enjoy getting outdoors after what seemed to be an unusually long winter. I'm sure it's just me, but winters really do seem to be getting longer and longer the older I get. The outdoor activity I enjoy most of all, though, is rabbit hunting, but the season is now closed until October, so fishing, camping, hiking, and shooting will have to do until then.

Take care.
DAL357

No comments: