Thursday, May 17, 2007

Notes from the hunting journal--10/22/2006

10-22-06: Perhaps the rabbits are a bit more wary, but with this trip, to the same area as last time, the chances to see a rabbit were fewer than last time. Why? I arrived at least 30 minutes later in the morning than the previous trip. Regardless, I only spotted two rabbits, both of which I fired at, and both of which I missed.

The first bunny showed itself some distance ahead of me. I snapped a quick shot at it as it ran from right to left. It passed a scrub pine on its way, temporarily blocking my view of him. As expected, he reappeared on the other side of the tree and I fired again, without positive result. I estimate the distance to have been approximately 30 yards.

Onward I trudged, hoping this would not be the only rabbit I saw that day, but half expecting it to be, due to the late start. Some time later, as rabbits are prone to do, a bunny surprised me by sitting still until I was nearly upon him and then running quickly in front of me. Another snap shot and another clean miss. I saw no more rabbits.

One odd thing I did find a little after seeing the second rabbit was a blue helium-filled balloon under a tree. Upon inspection, it looked to have some religious writing on it in Spanish. I have no idea where it came from, nor how far it traveled, but I took it, wrote "10-22-06" on it, and tied it to the tree. It still had some buoyancy to it, so it floated.

Gun: Remington 870 12 ga.
Ammo: Federal 6 shot
Total shots: 3
Total rabbits: 0

Take care,
DAL357

No comments: